Do you love pasta, but not its nutritional facts? Though this starchy food is delicious, it can be bad for a healthy diet if eaten too frequently. Even worse, usually the tastiest pasta dishes are drenched in creamy sauces or covered in salty meats–aka more calories. But you don’t have to give up all of your favorite pasta dishes; there is an easy-to-make and healthy alternative–zoodles!
Zoodles, or zuchinni noodles, are a fun and healthy alternative to pasta. Zucchini has 19 calories per cup, while pasta has a whopping 220 calories per cup! In addition to the obvious calorie cut, zucchini is a great source of vitamins. Zoodles are super easy to prepare, too! And with all those health benefits, you don’t have to feel guilty about adding your favorite alfredo sauce to the dish.
So, how do you make zoodles? It’s easy! Here’s a step-by-step guide that includes a few ways to prepare them.
1) Rinse off the zucchini.
2) Form the zoodles. Whether you use a spiralizer, a julienne peeler, or a mandolin, make the strips thin like spaghetti.
3) Cook the zoodles by using one of these 5 easy methods:
- Boiled: Just add water and strain them like pasta.
- Sautéed: Add in your favorite toppings and sauce to make a stir fry type dish.
- Baked: Throw your raw zoodles on a tray and put them in the oven.
- Microwaved: Set on high for one to two minutes with a little bit of water–perfect for dorm living.
4) Add your sauce, protein, seasoning, etc. to create the perfect zoodle masterpiece!
If you have a favorite pasta recipe, just replace the noodles with these superfood spirals and you’ll be ready for the meal of a lifetime. Even if your typical pasta dish is loaded with tons of calories and not much nutrition, the zoodles will bring back the balance. Here are a few fun ideas:
- Butter, Garlic, and Parmesan Zoodles
- Throw some tilapia on a bed of these zoodles for a tasty seafood meal.
- Zoodles Picatta
- The capers will add a salty kick!
- Zpaghetti and Meatballs
- This classic pasta dish reimagined is great with homemade or pre-made sauce.
- You don’t have to worry so much about the calories from the cream when you’re cutting so many carbs!
- Zoodle Ziti
- Layers of nutrition will perfectly compliment layers of flavor.
Once you’ve had your fill of zoodles, try spiralizing different vegetables like squash, beets, and cucumbers. So what are you waiting for? Start peeling!