Summertime is all about heading outside and enjoying time with family and friends. I love toasting long summer nights with a fun signature cocktail that is loaded with flavor and color, so I decided to make my own. Since fruit is super flavorful this time of the year, I knew that my cocktail would have to be fruit-based.
With my fridge loaded with fresh watermelon and strawberries and with a bunch of limes in my fruit bowl, I decided that tequila would be the perfect alcohol for my summer cocktail! And that is how Watermelon Strawberry Margaritas were born. These cocktails are loaded with almost one serving of fruit per drink and are the perfect shade of fuchsia. They are summertime in a glass.
This is how you make them. These margaritas are “frozen,” so grab your blender and toss some fresh (seedless) watermelon cubes into the bowl.
Along with some fresh strawberries (cut in half).
Then pour in some of your favorite tequila.
And a healthy squeeze of lime. I like my margaritas more tart so I put in juice from half a medium-sized lime. If you like things a little less sour, you can most definitely cut back on the lime a bit. Just don’t leave the lime out completely–margaritas need balance!
I also sprinkled in a tiny bit of salt (totally optional!).
Finally, add in some ice. I personally like my margaritas on the rocks, but to serve rub a lime wedge on the rim of a glass.
And dip the rim in a plate that has a mixture of kosher salt and lime zest. Make sure you evenly coat the rim of the glass with salt/lime zest.
Then carefully pour the margarita into the glass.Garnish with a lime, a strawberry, and a super cute straw!
Check out more of Catherine’s delicious recipes by visiting Simply A (RD) Foodie and come back here every Wednesday for new recipes!
- 3/4 cup cubed, seedless watermelon
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup tequila
- Juice from half a lime
- Salt, optional
- 1/2-1 cup ice
- Simple syrup, to taste
- Kosher salt and zest from half a lime, for the glass rims
- Lime slices and strawberry slices, for garnish
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup water and 1 cup sugar. Heat mixture over medium heat until sugar dissolves completely. Let syrup cool completely before pouring into a container and storing in the fridge.
- In the bowl of a blender, combine watermelon, strawberries, tequila, lime juice, salt, and ice. Blend until smooth. Taste and add simple syrup to taste. Blend to combine.
- Rub a lime wedge around edge of a glass and then dip the glass in the salt/lime zest mixture, making sure to evenly coat rim. Pour margarita into the glass and garnish with lime and strawberry slices. Enjoy!
(1 margarita, made with 1 tablespoon simple syrup): Calories: 127 | Fat: 0gm | Saturated fat: 0gm | Carbohydrates: 16gm | Sodium: 79mg | Fiber: 1gm | Protein: < 1gm | Cholesterol: 0mg