Zucchini is the chameleon of the food world. It can be used in savory dishes, but it can also be used in sweet ones. The mild taste and tender texture allows it to be the star of the show or the supportive sidekick.
With summer providing zucchini in abundance, I needed to come up with a great way to use it all up. While grilled zucchini does not freeze well, I knew from experience that zucchini baked goods freeze like a dream! And that’s how Vegan Zucchini Brownies were born. These brownies are fudgy and rich without eggs, oil, or excessive sugar. The shredded squash provides moisture and texture, all while melting perfectly into the brownie. It is a great way to sneak a little goodness into your family (they’ll never know that it’s there). And they couldn’t be easier to make!
It starts with the dry ingredients, flour + cocoa powder + baking soda + baking powder + instant espresso powder + salt. The espresso powder does not make the brownies taste like coffee, but makes them taste more chocolatey!!
Whisk the dry ingredients together and then set them aside. Now we pull together the wet ingredients. Granulated sugar + brown sugar + unsweetened applesauce + white vinegar + vanilla extract. Whisk to combine.
Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir to just combine. THE DOUGH WILL BE VERY DRY! It needs to be dry because of the final ingredient.
Add in 2 cups of shredded zucchini. Stir to thoroughly combine. The moisture of the zucchini helps the batter form!
Toss in some vegan chocolate chips and stir to combine.
Pour the batter into a parchment paper-lined 9×9-inch baking pan. Spread the batter out evenly and sprinkle some extra chips on top for garnish. Bake the brownies in a preheated 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until the brownies are set. Cool completely before cutting and serving.
YUM. A healthy way to indulge this summer.
Check out more of Catherine’s delicious recipes by visiting Simply A (RD) Foodie and come back here every Wednesday for new recipes!
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons natural cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups of shredded zucchini - do not drain/squeeze after grating!
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips + extra for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x9-inch baking pan with cooking spray and then line the bottom with a parchment paper sling. To create a parchment paper sling, cut two 9"x12" pieces of parchment paper. Lay each piece in the pan, ensure the bottom and sides are covered (one piece goes one way and the other piece goes the other). Clip excess parchment to the sides of the pan with binder clips. Set aside
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, espresso powder, and salt. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, brown sugar, applesauce, vinegar, and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients. Stir to combine--batter will be very dry.
- Add in the zucchini and stir to combine. Add in the chocolate chips--stir to combine.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Spread the batter out evenly. Sprinkle the top with additional chocolate chips. Bake the brownies for 25-30 minutes until the brownies are set. Allow the brownies to cool before cutting!
(1 brownie): Calories: 109 | Fat: 2gm | Saturated fat: 1gm | Carbohydrates: 23gm | Sodium: 107mg | Fiber: 1.5gm | Protein: 2gm | Cholesterol: 0mg