Who doesn’t love a slice of cake? While grand layer cakes and cupcakes topped with mountains of frosting and sprinkles are definitely a favorite in my house, some days call for simplicity. And nothing is more simple (and delicious) than this Vegan Apple Upside-Down Cake.
While the apple design on the top of the cake gives it an elegant appearance, this cake can be whipped up in one bowl and is ready to serve in 45 minutes. It is perfect for busy weeknight dessert or those last minute bake sales, office parties, or when guests unexpectedly drop by!
This apple cake starts with the pan. Liberally spray a springform pan (with a detachable bottom) with cooking spray and sprinkle over two tablespoons of brown sugar on the bottom.
Then layer thin slices of apple on the bottom of the pan. Set the pan aside and assemble the cake batter.
In a small bowl, combine whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Whisk to combine. Then in a large bowl, combine granulated sugar, unsweetened applesauce, white vinegar, and vanilla. Stir to combine.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and gently stir to combine. Pour the batter over the apples in the pan and then use a spatula to make sure the batter is even. Pop the cake into a preheated 350 degree oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until the cake is golden and the edges are pulling away from the sides of the pan.
Remove the cake from the oven, allow to cool for 1-2 minutes, then carefully invert onto a dish.
This apple cake tastes delicious as is, but would also be yummy with some whipped cream or ice cream (regular or vegan, your choice!).
Check out more of Catherine’s delicious recipes by visiting Simply A (RD) Foodie and come back here every Wednesday for new recipes!
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/3 cup oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 apple, halved, cored, and sliced thin
- 3 tablespoon brown sugar, unpacked
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Liberally spray a springform pan (with a removable bottom) with cooking spray. Sprinkle brown sugar over the bottom of the pan. Layer apple slices over the brown sugar in a circular pattern. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Whisk together and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, applesauce, vegetable oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and gently mix to combine. Pour the batter over the apples and use a spatula to make sure it's spread evenly. Bake the cake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let cool for 30-60 seconds. Open the springform pan, place a plate over it, and invert carefully. The pan and cake will be extremely hot -- please be careful!
- Let the cake cool on the cake plate. Serve warm by itself or add a dollop of whipped cream or ice cream.
(1 slice): Calories: 248 calories | Fat: 8gm | Saturated fat: < 1gm | Carbohydrates: 43gm | Sodium: 309mg | Fiber: 2.5gm | Protein: 3gm | Cholesterol: 0mg