Who loves the Fourth of July? Food, family, and fireworks come together to make it one of the most spectacular and beloved holidays of the year. While the meal is usually the same year to year (hamburgers, hot dog, barbecue), I try to do different desserts every year to celebrate America’s birthday in style. Since the Fourth falls on a weekday this year, I wanted to make a dessert that we could pack easily to bring with us at the fireworks–that means no messy clean up as we are scrambling to get home to bed.
Patriotic Rice Crispy Treats totally fit that bill. They are simple to make, easy to pack and carry, and everyone loves them! I took the traditional rice crispy treat recipe and changed it slightly, swapping the puffed rice cereal for rice square cereal. The resulting treat was less dense, but still as delicious as the original. And the best part? They can be made the day before so all you need to do on Fourth of July is grab the container before heading out to see the fireworks.
These Rice Crispy Treats start with the marshmallow base. In a large, heavy pot set over medium heat, melt three tablespoons of butter.
When the butter is melted, add in the marshmallows. It doesn’t matter what size you have, both mini and standard work well here. Stir the marshmallows constantly until they are melted.
Then add in the rice square cereal. Quickly fold the cereal into the marshmallow. When the cereal is completely coated, pour it immediately into a greased 9×13-inch pan (I actually line mine with parchment too!). Spray your [clean] hands with some cooking spray and use them to press the treats into an even, flat layer–it works much better than using a spatula. Allow the treats to cool completely before slicing into squares.
Because it’s a birthday, I dipped the bottoms of the treats into melted white chocolate and decorated with sprinkles. If you want a lighter coat of chocolate, you can use a fork and drizzle it over the treats instead. Allow the chocolate to harden for about an hour before digging in (or popping into an airtight container for later). Definitely a great way to celebrate America’s birthday!
Check out more of Catherine’s delicious recipes by visiting Simply A (RD) Foodie and come back here every Wednesday for new recipes!
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 10 oz marshmallows
- 7 cups rice square cereal
- 6 oz white chocolate, melted
- In a large, heavy pot set over medium heat, add in butter. When the butter is melted, add in the marshmallows and stir constantly until melted.
- Add in the rice square cereal. Quickly fold the cereal into the marshmallow. When the cereal is all coated, pour the cereal mixture into a greased 9x13-inch pan. **CAUTION: the mixture can still be hot**
- Spray your hand with cooking spray and press the cereal into an even, flat layer. Allow the treats to cool completely.
- Cut the treats into squares. Dip the lower portions of the treats into melted chocolate and gently shake off the excess. Decorate with sprinkles and then lay on a sheet of parchment paper to harden. Enjoy!
(1 bar): Calories: 177 | Fat: 5gm | Saturated fat: 4gm | Carbohydrates: 27gm | Sodium: 148mg | Fiber: 0gm | Protein: 2gm | Cholesterol: 6mg