Remember growing up and having tater tots as a kid? Those perfect, crispy cylinders of potato-y goodness sat next to eggs in the morning and chicken nuggets at night. While I am still a big fan of tater tots today, I rarely have room in my freezer for a huge bag of my favorite potato dish.
After craving tater tots one morning, I looked in my pantry, grabbed a couple of russet potatoes, and started experimenting. The result was a tot that was crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, and was BAKED (so totally no-mess). They are super easy to make and are only made with five ingredients. It is definitely something that will impress your breakfast guests!
To make these tots, grab yourself three medium-sized russet potatoes. Scrub them really well and pop them in a pot filled with cold water. Simmer the potatoes for 5-7 minutes until slightly tender.
Using a tea towel, wipe off the skin from the potatoes while they are still hot. *Be careful–the tots are very, very hot* Let the peeled potatoes cool completely before shredding on a box grater.
Dump the grated potato in a large bowl and add some olive oil, flour, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
Then portion out a heaping tablespoon of potato mixture and press it into the well in a greased mini muffin tin. This amount of potatoes should make 24 tater tots! When each well is filled, take the back of the tablespoon and press down lightly – this will help the tots stay together better! Pop the mini muffin tins into a preheated 425 degree oven and bake for 15 minutes.
Flip the tots over, spray with some cooking spray, sprinkle over some additional salt, and pop the tins back into the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
Then DIG IN. Crispy, potato-y, and totally delicious!
Check out more of Catherine’s delicious recipes by visiting Simply A (RD) Foodie and come back here every Wednesday for new recipes!
- 3 medium-sized russet potatoes, washed and scrubbed well
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Cooking spray
- Additional salt, optional
- Place potatoes in a pot of cold water, bring to a boil, then simmer for 5-7 minutes until barely tender. Drain the potatoes. Using a tea towel, wipe the skin off the potatoes. *BE CAREFUL - potatoes are hot! * Set the potatoes aside to cool completely.
- When the potatoes are cool, preheat your oven to 425 degrees and liberally spray two mini muffin tins (24 wells total) with cooking spray.
- Shred the potatoes on the large side of a box grater into a large mixing bowl. Add olive oil, salt, pepper, and flour. Stir to combine.
- Portion a heaping tablespoons of potato mixture into each well in the muffin tins. Using the back of the teaspoon, press the potato mixture into the tin.
- Bake the tots for 15 minutes, then remove the tins from the oven. Flip the tots over, lightly spray them with cooking spray, sprinkle with extra salt if desired, and bake for an additional 15 minutes until golden and crisp!
- Remove from the tins immediately and serve with your breakfast favorites.
(6 tater tots) Calories: 164 calories | Fat: 3.5gm | Saturated fat: 0.5gm | Carbohydrates: 30.5gm | Sodium: 598mg | Fiber: 2gm | Protein: 3.5gm | Cholesterol: 0mg
Recipe lightly adapted from Damaris Phillips “Potato Tots”