The summer party season is in full swing and that means I’ll be spending a lot of time outside hanging out with family and friends. Easy appetizers and snacks are a great way to get the party started and I am constantly looking for healthy (and food-safe) recipes to serve!
A go-to party favorite is chips and salsa. Salty, crisp corn chips are the perfect companion to cold, spicy salsa and I cannot imagine a summer party without them. While store-bought chips are convenient, I knew there was a cheaper and healthier way to make them at home! I bought good quality corn tortillas at the store (about $2.50 for a stack of 24 tortillas) to use and then baked them instead of fried them. The result? Homemade corn chips that had less fat and sodium and more fiber than store-bought chips–plus they were just as delicious!
These corn chips start with corn tortilla. I used small “taco-sized” corn tortillas for this recipe.
I brushed canola oil lightly over one side of the tortilla and then stacked them up nice and perfect.
Then using a very large sharp knife, cut the tortillas into eight wedges. If you want bigger chips, feel free to leave them in quarters but I definitely prefer the smaller chip–you get a better chip-to-salsa ratio!
Place the corn chips onto a lightly sprayed baking sheet in an even SINGLE layer (make batches if they don’t all fit!). Sprinkle with a little salt if you desire and then bake the corn chips in a preheated 375 degrees for 8 minutes until they are just golden.
YUM! Ready for summer snack time! Serve with homemade or store-bought salsa or guacamole.
Check out more of Catherine’s delicious recipes by visiting Simply A (RD) Foodie and come back here every Wednesday for new recipes!
- 12 "taco-sized" corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Salt per preference
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly spray a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- Lightly brush canola oil on one side of each corn tortilla, stacking the tortillas on top of each other in a neat stack. Using a sharp knife, cut the tortillas into eight equal wedges.
- Arrange the corn tortilla wedges in an even layer on the baking sheet--bake the chips in batches if you run out of room! If desired, sprinkle the chips with a bit of salt. Bake the corn chips for 8 minutes until just golden.
- To serve: Place chips in a basket and serve alongside your favorite salsa, pico de gallo, or guacamole!
(1 serving – 24 chips): Calories: 188 | Fat: 5.5gm | Saturated fat: 0.5gm | Carbohydrates: 32gm | Sodium: 32mg | Fiber: 4gm | Protein: 4gm | Cholesterol: 0mg