Edible cookie dough is popping up all over the Internet. I am a big cookie dough lover and am constantly looking for ways to make it at home! While you can easily omit eggs from the dough recipe, I learned that eating raw flour is not good–it can contain E. coli, which can make you super sick. So with flour out, I was totally perplexed about how to make a safe edible cookie dough.
But then I remembered about rolled oats. You can eat oats raw (AKA overnight oats), which makes them the perfect dry component for the dough. Since oats have a more prominent flavor than regular all-purpose flour, I decided to choose mixin’s that complement their stronger flavor profile. So I loaded up my dough with mini M&Ms, pecans, and chocolate chips–it is all the flavor of Monster Cookies without having to bake them!
This edible cookie dough starts with the wet ingredient base. Granulated sugar and brown sugar and some melted butter. I also added in some skim milk to thin everything out.
Then I added in some homemade oat flour and salt. To make the oat flour, I added a cup and a half of rolled oats into a food processor/blender and pulsed into a completely fine powder. Stir the oat flour into the wet ingredients until just combined.
Then add in all the delicious extras! Mini M&Ms, chopped pecans, and mini chocolate chips. Stir to completely combine and then dig in!
I popped my cookie dough into a mason jar with a tight-fitting lid. The dough lasts for about a week in the fridge (but we all know it won’t last that long!). Definitely a way to indulge in edible cookie dough without the risk!
Check out more of Catherine’s delicious recipes by visiting Simply A (RD) Foodie and come back here every Wednesday for new recipes!
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons brown sugar, unpacked
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 tablespoons skim milk
- 11/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 11/2 cup rolled oats, put in a blender/food processor and blended until ground finely
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup mini M&Ms
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, combine brown sugar and granulated sugar. Whisk together to combine.
- Add melted butter to sugar mixture and whisk to combine until lumps are gone. Add in skim milk and whisk to combine.
- Add in the oat flour and salt. Stir to combine. To make oat flour, pulse oats in a food processor or blender until they become a fine powder.
- Add in the M&Ms, pecans, and chocolate chips. Stir to combine. Dig in immediately or pop into a container with a tight fitting lid and store in fridge for up to one week.
(1 serving): Calories: 228 | Fat: 11gm | Saturated fat: 5gm | Carbohydrates: 31gm | Sodium: 155mg | Fiber: 2gm | Protein: 3gm | Cholesterol: 15mg