When I say summer, what is the first dessert that comes to mind? S’mores, of course! The classic fireside treat of toasted marshmallow, chocolate, and graham crackers is the iconic dessert of summer. I love these treats more than anything, but I normally don’t have a bonfire available when I want a s’more.
So I decided to find a way to make s’mores inside and Decadent S’more Bars were born! Instead of graham crackers, the marshmallow is sandwiched between chocolate chip cookie dough. After it bakes, there are cracks and crevices on the top of the bars that allow for the marshmallow to ooze out.
And just like the original, this is the easiest dessert to make! The cookie dough is one bowl, it doesn’t require chilling, and it bakes in under 30 minutes.
The recipe starts with a basic chocolate chip cookie base! In a small bowl, combine all-purpose flour, oat bran, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir to combine and set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine room temperature butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar. Beat until light and fluffy. Add in an egg and some vanilla extract. Beat to combine.
Slowly add in the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Stir in some chocolate chunks and then it’s time to build the s’more bars!
Grab half of the cookie dough. Spread it out into a rough square in a prepared (with a parchment paper sling) 9×9 baking pan. How do you make a parchment paper sling, you ask? Easy! Place your baking sheet on some parchment paper and cut two strips that are 9 inches in width and about 12 inches in length. Lay one piece of parchment paper in the pan, making sure to snugly align it on the bottom and up the sides to have some parchment overhanging the edge of the pan. Clip it down with small binder clips. Do the same in the opposite direction (so all sides are covered). Now you can remove those oozy, gooey bars without any muss or fuss!
When the first layer of dough is down…add in a layer of marshmallows! This is twelve regular-sized marshmallows that I popped in the freezer for about 10 minutes before layering them into the bars. I put three rows of three marshmallows and then ripped three in half and stuffed them into the spaces.
Then add the second half of the cookie dough to the top of the marshmallows and spread it out so everything is covered.
Bake the bars in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, or until golden around the edges. Allow the cookies to cool before removing from the pan. Cut into squares…and dig in!
They are soft, decadent, and totally delicious.
Check out more of Catherine’s delicious recipes by visiting Simply A (RD) Foodie and come back here every Wednesday for new recipes!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chocolate chunks
- 12 regular-sized marshmallows
- Additional chocolate chunks for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x9-inch baking pan with cooking spray and then line the bottom with a parchment paper sling. To create a parchment paper sling to line the pan, cut two 9"x12" pieces of parchment paper. Lay each piece in the pan, ensure the bottom and sides are covered (one piece goes one way and the other piece goes the other). Clip excess parchment to the sides of the pan with binder clips. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar. Beat until light and fluffy. Add in the egg and vanilla and beat until combine.
- With the mixer on low, add in the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. Add in the chocolate chunks and mix until distributed.
- Portion out half the dough and press into the baking dish, leaving a 1/2-1 inch border (the cookies will spread!). Layer the marshmallows in a grid-like pattern (3 marshmallows by 3 marshmallows with the remaining marshmallows ripped in half and stuffed in the open areas) over the cookie dough.
- Then press the second half of the dough over the marshmallows, using your hands to make straight edges. Pop the baking dish into the preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until the edges are golden and the middle is set.
- Let the bar cool before cutting and serving. Enjoy!
(1 bar): Calories: 223 | Fat: 9.5gm | Saturated fat: 5.5gm | Carbohydrates: 31gm | Sodium: 79mg | Fiber: 1.5gm | Protein: 3gm | Cholesterol: 27mg