My favorite tradition of the holiday season is the big holiday breakfast after a late night of festive cheer. There is nothing I love more than sharing plates full of breakfast favorites with my family and friends while discussing our favorite party highlights. My ultimate holiday breakfast item? Cinnamon rolls. They are a warm, festive treat that everyone looks forward too but not practical to whip together before everyone wakes up. Another breakfast favorite this time of year? Pancakes! They are easy to make, easy to customize, and everyone loves them.
How did I solve me holiday breakfast dilemma? I put these two breakfast treats together and made Cinnamon Roll Pancakes! These pancakes are made with my regular recipe that is adorned with a swirl of brown sugar butter–a delicious way to mimic cinnamon rolls but have breakfast on the table in 45 minutes.
These pancakes start with the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and a good helping of cinnamon. Whisk the dry ingredients together to combine.
Then pour the wet ingredients–skim milk, eggs, and vanilla–over the dry. Again, whisk to combine… but don’t over mix! If you over mix, your pancakes will become flat and tough.
Pour out 1/4 cup of batter on a preheated grilled that has been greased with vegetable oil. Then pipe the “cinnamon roll” filling in a spiral pattern.
To make the filling, combine equal parts of softened butter and brown sugar in a bowl. Using a fork, work the brown sugar into the butter until thoroughly combined.
Spoon the filling into a small zip-top bag and then clip the corner of the bag–instant piping bag! Pipe the filling in a spiral pattern to mimic the cinnamon roll.
When the bottom is golden brown (I cook my pancakes for 90 seconds per side!), flip them over and cook until the other side is golden. Remove them from the griddle and keep warm in a 180 degree oven.
Serve up the pancakes with a dollop of lightly sweetened whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Check out more of Catherine’s delicious recipes by visiting Simply A (RD) Foodie and come back here every Wednesday for new recipes!
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- In a small bowl, combine butter and brown sugar.
- Using a fork, work brown sugar into the butter until thoroughly combined.
- Spoon the filling into a small ziptop bag. Snip the corner of the bag and set aside.
- Preheat your griddle over medium-low heat. Lightly grease the griddle with vegetable oil.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Whisk well to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine eggs, milk, and vanilla. Whisk to combine.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Pour 1/4 cup portion of batter onto the griddle and squeeze a swirl of filling in the middle of the pancake. Cook pancakes for 90 seconds then flip and cook for an additional 90 seconds. Keep pancakes warm in the oven. Continue to cook pancakes until all the batter is finished. Serve with a dollop of lightly sweetened whipped cream and ground. Enjoy!
(3 pancakes): Calories: 403 | Fat: 12gm | Saturated fat: 7gm | Carbohydrates: 63gm | Sodium: 883mg | Fiber: <1gm | Protein: 8.5gm | Cholesterol: 138mg