When the weather becomes cold and gray, warm, hearty breakfasts are the reason I leave my cozy bed and head downstairs to join my family. While I love pancakes, waffles, and eggs, sometimes you want some that is both hearty and healthy.
That’s why I love steel cut oats. “Steel Cut” means that the whole oat grain has just been cut into smaller pieces, unlike rolled oats, which is when the oat grain is rolled flat. These oats take longer to cook (20-30 minutes) but they yield a creamy (yet almost al dente) texture that it hard to beat. With 4gm of fiber and 5gm of protein per 1/4 cup, these oats will fill you up and give you a boost to start the day. Top these oats with a cinnamon apple mixture and you have a winning winter breakfast!
To make the oats, grab a small saucepan and fill with some water and bring to a boil. Then add in a 1/4 cup of steel cut oats, bring back to a boil, then reduce to simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes until tender. Don’t forget to stir occasionally to prevent the oats from burning on the bottom!
While the oats are cooking, make the cinnamon apple topping. In a non-stick skillet, combine some unsalted butter and brown sugar. Heat over medium until the butter is melted, the sugar is dissolved, and it is a delicious bubbly mess.
Then add in a diced apple (skin on!). Cook the apple in the caramel until soft and tender.
Then turn off the heat and add in some cinnamon and nutmeg!
When the oats are cooked, pour them into a pretty bowl and then spoon over the apples and delicious caramel sauce. For crunch, add some chopped pecans…totally optional but they definitely take it up a notch! This is my go-to winter breakfast of champions!
Check out more of Catherine’s delicious recipes by visiting Simply A (RD) Foodie and come back here every Wednesday for new recipes!
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup steel cut oats
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 1 apple, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Chopped pecans for garnish (optional)
- In a small saucepan set over medium-high heat, add in water. Bring to a boil.
- When the water is boiling, add in the oats and stir to combine. Bring the oats to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 20-25 minutes until tender. Stir oats occasionally to prevent sticking.
- While the oats are cooking, prepare the apple topping. In a non-stick skillet set over medium heat, combine butter and brown sugar. Cook until the butter is melted, the brown sugar is dissolved, and the mixture is bubbling. Add in the apples and continue to cook until tender. When the apples are cooked, remove the skillet from the heat and add cinnamon and nutmeg.
- To serve, pour the oats into a bowl and top with the apple mixture. Sprinkle over the chopped pecans and then dig in!
Calories: 402 | Fat: 14gm | Saturated fat: 8gm | Carbohydrates: 66gm | Sodium: 10mg | Fiber: 8.5gm | Protein: 6gm | Cholesterol: 31mg