I love muffins! I love their domed tops, soft middles, and their ability to be customized to any flavor. What I do not love is that some muffins can pack tons of calories and fat, turning them more into dessert than breakfast fare. While I will never turn down a jumbo double chocolate muffin, my normal breakfast grab is usually a more modest muffin with a bit more substance.
Like these Carrot Cake Muffins. They have all the flavor of the traditional cake, but are transformed into a healthier breakfast version. These muffins are loaded with freshly grated carrot, unsweetened applesauce, and Greek yogurt, giving them just enough sweetness (and 5gm of protein)–a perfect complement to your breakfast!
Bonus? They could not be easier to make–one bowl, one whisk, and a muffin tin!
The muffins start with the dry ingredients. In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Whisk everything to combine.
Then pull together the wet ingredients. It starts with some vegetable/canola oil + unsweetened applesauce + non-fat Greek yogurt + eggs + vanilla extract + brown sugar.
Then pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients. Stir to combine. I had to add about 1/4 cup of skim milk to thin the batter slightly.
Add in some grated carrot and chopped walnuts…because it isn’t carrot cake without carrots and walnuts! You can add raisins in here too!
Portion out the batter into twelve muffin cups lined with paper liners. Bake the muffins in a preheated 425 degree oven for five minutes, then turn the temperature down to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Remove the muffins and allow them to cool on a wire rack.
Enjoy them as is, or add a small smear of cream cheese. A sweet (and healthy) start to the morning!
Check out more of Catherine’s delicious recipes by visiting Simply A (RD) Foodie and come back here every Wednesday for new recipes!
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 6 oz non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1 heaping cup grated carrots
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Line a twelve-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Whisk to combine.
- In a small bowl combine oil, applesauce, yogurt, brown sugar, yogurt, and vanilla extract. Beat to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients--stir to combine. Add in the milk. Portion out the batter evenly--the batter should almost reach the top of the muffin cup.
- Bake the muffins for 5 minutes at 425 degrees, then lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Remove the muffins from the tin and allow them to cool on a wire rack. Enjoy!
(1 muffin): Calories: 185 | Fat: 7gm | Saturated fat: 1gm | Carbohydrates: 26gm | Sodium: 270mg | Fiber: 1gm | Protein: 5gm | Cholesterol: 32mg
Recipe lightly adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction.