Everyone loves Tex-Mex food–tacos, burritos, fajitas, and guacamole are delicious, comforting, and simple to make. While I love all those Tex-Mex classics, my absolute favorite dish is Beans and Rice. Smoky, hearty beans and fluffy rice are not only the perfect side dish, but can also be transitioned to a vegan dinner.
Bonus? This dish uses pantry/fridge staples and can be pulled together in thirty minutes. It’s quick, veggie-packed, and healthy. A perfectly easy weeknight meal that is full of nutrition!
The easiest Beans and Rice start with the veggie base. Set a deep-sided skillet over medium heat and add in some olive oil. When the oil is hot, add in all the colorful veggies–bell pepper, red onion, and celery. Cook the veggies until they are soft.
Add in some minced garlic. Continue to cook the veggies until the garlic is fragrant, then add in the beans! Add in two cans of beans (whatever kind you like) and stir to combine.
When the beans are heated through (it should take just a minute), add in all the seasonings. Salt + pepper + chili powder + cumin + hot sauce. Stir completely and then taste and adjust seasonings to taste.
Then you’re done!
All you need is to cook up some rice, dish some up in a bowl, spoon over the beans, and garnish with all sorts of toppings–lime wedges, chopped onion, and guacamole are my favorites, but anything works here!
Check out more of Catherine’s delicious recipes by visiting Simply A (RD) Foodie and come back here every Wednesday for new recipes!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers, washed, seeded, and diced
- 3 stalks of celery, diced
- 1/2 large red onion, diced small
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-15oz can beans, drained and thoroughly rinsed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce--add more if desired
- 11/2 cup dry rice--prepared according to package instructions
- Garnishes--avocado, guacamole, lime wedges, etc.
- In a deep-sided skillet set over medium heat, add in the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add in the bell pepper, celery, and onion. Cook for 1-2 minutes until soft.
- Add in the garlic and cook for an additional minute until garlic is fragrant.
- Add in the beans and stir to combine.
- When the beans are heated through, add in the salt, pepper, chili powder, and hot sauce. Stir together, taste, and adjust seasonings to taste.
- To serve, portion some rice in the bottom of a bowl, top with some beans, and garnish! Enjoy!
(1 serving): Calories: 449 | Fat: 9gm | Saturated fat: 1gm | Carbohydrates: 77gm | Sodium: 887mg • Fiber: 14gm | Protein: 16gm | Cholesterol: 0mg