My introduction to falafel was during a Mediterranean-themed dinner night at my dining hall in college. I loaded a pita with the fried patties and tahini sauce and fell in love with this vegan staple. While I still love my deep fried falafel patties, I knew that there had to be an easier (and healthier) way to make my favorite Meatless Monday dish. So I decided to make my own falafel mix and bake up my own patties! The mixture is easy to whip up in the food processor and the patties are baked in the oven. No vats of oil to deal with and a healthier falafel patty–a vegan dinner winner!
To make the falafel, you need some chickpeas. This recipe cuts down on a lot of the prep work because I use canned chickpeas that I drained and rinsed. No soaking beans overnight and then boiling them!
Toss the chickpeas into the bowl of a food processor and add some onion, parsley, and lemon zest.
Season the whole thing with cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper.
For moisture, I added in lemon juice and olive oil.
Pulse the mixture in the food processor until smooth.
Then sprinkle over some flour and some baking powder. This helps give the falafel structure and some lift.
Portion out heaping tablespoons of dough and roll them into balls. Then squish the balls slightly to make patties. I popped the falafel patties onto greased baking trays and then baked them at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes, flipping them over halfway.
To serve, I popped the patties onto a bed of mixed greens and cherry tomatoes with a dollop of tzatziki sauce (or tahini if you want to keep it vegan) and warm pita bread. A healthy, meatless dinner marvel!
Check out more of Catherine’s delicious recipes by visiting Simply A (RD) Foodie and come back here every Wednesday for new recipes!
- 2 15 oz cans low sodium chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 shallots, minced finely
- 3/4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Cooking Spray
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade, combine all ingredients except the flour and baking powder. Pulse until the mixture is smooth and the ingredients are combined.
- Transfer the chickpea mixture to a large bowl. Add the flour and baking powder and stir to combine. Place the bowl in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
- To bake the falafels, preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Spray a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- Portion out heaping teaspoons of falafel dough into the palms of your hands, roll into a ball, and then slightly flatten into a patty. Place the patties onto the baking sheet.
- Bake the falafel for 30-35 minutes, flipping halfway. Serve with pita bread and your favorite dip!
(3 falafels): Calories: 271 | Fat: 9gm | Saturated fat: 1gm | Carbohydrates: 39gm | Sodium: 770mg | Fiber: 10gm | Protein: 11gm | Cholesterol: 0mg