Pancakes are one of my “memory recipes.” It’s a recipe that you I have memorized and can whip up whenever unexpected company (or a craving) pops up–definitely necessary during this busy holiday season! Pancakes are wonderful for company because once you memorize the basic recipe, you can experiment with add-ins, toppings, and flavorings to create a new breakfast masterpiece every time. My newest twist on the classic pancake has all the flavor of fall, perfect to share with your family and friends!
Apple Cinnamon Pancakes start with my basic pancake batter but are taken to the next level with extra cinnamon in the batter and roasted apples cooked into the pancakes. They are festive, fast, and so delicious!
These pancakes start with the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and a good helping of cinnamon. Whisk the dry ingredients together to combine.
Then pour over the wet ingredients–skim milk, eggs, and vanilla. Again, whisk to combine…but don’t over mix! Your pancakes will be flat and sad and then you won’t have good pancakes for breakfast.
Pour out 1/4 cup of batter on a preheated grilled that has been greased with vegetable oil.
Then lay on three apple slices.
To make the roasted apples, toss apple slices with brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. When the apple slices are completely coated, pour the apples onto a greased baking sheet and bake in a 375 degree oven for 30-35 minutes, flipping halfway! When the apples are roasted, let them cool slightly before adding them to the pancakes. Or, you can make them ahead of time (1-2 days ahead!) and use them straight from the fridge!
When the bottom is golden brown (I cook my pancakes for 90 seconds per side!), flip them over and cook until the other side is golden. Remove them from the griddle and keep warm in a 180-degree oven.
Then serve up to pancake-obsessed family and friends! Definitely a perfect fall breakfast treat.
Check out more of Catherine’s delicious recipes by visiting Simply A (RD) Foodie and come back here every Wednesday for new recipes!
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 42 roasted apple slices
- Vegetable oil
- 4 medium-to-large firm apples (like empire or winesap), washed, peeled (if desired), cored, sliced
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Cooking spray
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray--and make sure you spray the baking sheet well...this will prevent sticking!
- In a large bowl, combine apple slices, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Toss well to combine.
- Pour the apple slices onto the baking sheet and bake the apples until tender, about 30-35 minutes, flipping halfway.
- Let the apple slices cool and store in an airtight container to be used in pancakes throughout the week!
- Preheat your griddle over medium-low heat. Lightly grease the griddle with vegetable oil.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Whisk well to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine eggs, milk, and vanilla. Whisk to combine.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Pour 1/4 cup portion of batter on to the griddle and place 3 apple slices on each pancake. Cook pancakes for 90 seconds then flip and cook for an additional 90 seconds. Keep pancakes warm in the oven. Continue to cook pancakes until all the batter is finished.
- Serve with warm pancake syrup. Enjoy!
(3 pancakes): Calories: 390 | Fat: 4gm | Saturated fat: 1gm | Carbohydrates: 76gm | Sodium: 827mg | Fiber: 4gm | Protein: 13gm | Cholesterol: 76mg