Sometimes the day gets away from us–work, school, errands, meetings, sports, and family obligations all vie for our attention and time. Sometimes you blink and it is 6 p.m. and you have no idea what’s for dinner. That’s where Broccoli + Peas in Brown Garlic Sauce comes in. This easy vegetable side dish packs a flavor punch and is ready in the same time it takes to whip up rice and salmon. So in about twenty minutes, you are eating a delicious, healthy meal!
To make the brown garlic sauce, add some olive oil to a skillet set over medium-low heat. Add in some thinly sliced garlic and crushed red pepper flake. Cook until the garlic is fragrant.
Then add in some steamed broccoli and sugar snap peas. Oh, and please make sure to snip both ends of the snow peas (I was lazy and skipped this step… not a good decision at all). Toss the veggies with the garlic and hot pepper until they are slightly charred.
Turn the heat down and add in some chicken broth, soy sauce, and brown sugar. Stir everything to combine.
Then pour in a cornstarch slurry to thicken everything up.
Sprinkle over some sliced scallions over the veggies before serving. Yum! I served mine up next to some rice and some salmon. Easy dinner done!
Check out more of Catherine’s delicious recipes by visiting Simply A (RD) Foodie and come back here every Wednesday for new recipes!
- 2 cups broccoli florets, steamed
- 2 cups sugar snap peas, trimmed and steamed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon hot chili flakes
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons of cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
- 1 scallion, sliced thin
- In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, add in the garlic and chili flake. Cook for 1-2 minutes until garlic is fragrant.
- Add in the broccoli and sugar snap peas and cook for 2-3 minutes until the vegetables become slightly browned.
- Turn the heat down slightly and add in the chicken broth, soy sauce, and brown sugar. Stir to combine. Pour in the cornstarch slurry and stir to combine until sauce is thick and glossy.
- Garnish with sliced scallions before serving. Enjoy!
(about 1 cup): Calories: 136 | Fat: 5gm | Saturated fat: < 1gm | Carbohydrates: 18gm | Sodium: 250mg | Fiber: 5gm | Protein: 5.5gm | Cholesterol: 0mg